Goodbye Seattle

Okay.  Let me preface this post with this suggestion…

Somebody should totally look into apparition as a possible solution to actually moving.  Seriously.  And while they’re at it they can look into all of your earthly possessions being stuffed into a beaded handbag similar to Hermione Granger’s.

That being said, the move went relatively well.  There were only one or two glitches along the way including leaving 19 hours late and doubling back one night to prevent my car from falling off the trailer.   But all in all, things went smoothly.

For those of you who don’t know, we left in a bit of a hurry.  Caleb assumed his new position as assistant editor at Think Traffic and left his nine to five.  Even though we thought about, planned, and talked this move to death it still seemed to creep up on us.  I was busy helping a friend with her wedding in Bellingham the week before the move and didn’t really start packing until Monday evening.  That gave me 4 days to pack.  We lived in a one-bedroom apartment and Caleb and I are diligent about donating things or selling things we no longer use.  In my mind, we don’t really have a lot of stuff.  Famous last words?

We left 19 hours late.  Instead of packing up the truck in the morning on Friday and spending the night in Portland like we hoped to, we left Saturday morning.  This happened for a number of reasons.  I didn’t get all of our things organized in time, Caleb was busy working all week in the evenings and couldn’t help me, and we ended up with a truck that we were told would fit a two-bedroom apartment.  “Were told” are the key words here.   It took a terribly long time to pack the Uhaul not only because we lived on the sixth floor but also because Caleb and my Dad had to tetris every load in order to make sure everything would fit.

Road Trip Day 1: Seattle to Oregon

As we shut the door and were finally ready to pull away from our home it started raining.  Rain is good luck, right?  We made it down to Portland and stopped to visit with Caleb’s brother, John, his wife, Jenny, and their kids Ruby and Jacob.

Caleb and I spent a lot of time in Portland over the past two years with them.  We’ve spent a few Thanksgivings, last Christmas and plenty of three-day weekends together.  They were very kind to let us use their house as a rest stop for planning our wedding.  Whenever we had to make the trek out to Dufur, we would always swing by and stay for the weekend.  We are going to miss them and the kids very much.  We got some ice cream at Jem 100 in Newberg and then said our goodbyes.  We’ll see them again next summer when Caleb attends WDS.

We made it to Medord, OR after leaving John and Jenny’s.  By the time we got there, we were exhausted and had to deal with one of the rudest hotel clerks I’ve come across.  She proceeded to roll her eyes and speak as if she were giving directions to a 5 year old when we asked where we could park the truck.  Not amusing at 11 o’clock at night.

The next day we got a bit of a slow start.  Caleb has never traveled with my Dad before, and while I feel that I warned him what would happen, he didn’t believe me.  For those of you who have, you know how this goes.  You must wake him up at least an hour and a half before you actually want to leave.  In this time he needs to take a shower, drink two cups of decaf coffee and check his email and Facebook.  Why does this take so long?  No one knows, it just does.

Road Trip Day 2: Oregon to Central California

Our second day went smoothly enough and Leb and I passed the time in conversation, music and audiobooks as we sailed passed California’s northern farmland.  We had decided to get out ahead of Dad and scout out a hotel that he could pull the truck and trailer into with little trouble.  When we were about an hour outside of our destination Dad called.  “How are things going?”  I asked.  “Fair” he said.  “I think your car is going to fall off the trailer, I might need you guys to turn around if I can’t fix it”.  He couldn’t because we had both sets of keys to my car.  At about 8 o’clock Leb and I turned around and had to back track to where we had dinner at 6:30.  Luckily Dad was near a Holiday Inn Express and we crashed for the night.  In the morning, after getting Dad going and the usual two cups of decaf, we fixed the problem and were on the road again.

Road Trip Day 3: Hello San Diego

We’ve made it to Carlsbad and have unloaded the truck.  Now we have a few days to relax and meet up with some old friends of mine.  Oh yea, and grab some Mexican food.  Can’t forget that!